Tuesday, February 09, 2016

WHAT IS A FRIEND?














WHAT IS A FRIEND?
by Peter wink 

Hi Everyone,

How do you define a friend?

According to Websters.com, a friend is...

1. a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.
3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe?
4. a member of the same nation, party, etc.
5. (initial capital letter) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.
–verb (used with object)
6. Rare. to befriend.
—Idiom
7. make friends with, to enter into friendly relations with; become a friend to.

I personally don't buy into the scholarly stuff above.

I look at it like this...
  • I've had feelings for many people who are NOT friends!
  • I've had people assist me and people I've assisted that are NOT friends!
  • I've had many people that I've been on good terms with that are NOT friends!
  • I've been a member of many things - NOT one friend to be found!
  • I've worked with thousands of people in my life and did NOT be-friend any!

So what gives here? Why is this?


Maybe it all lies in the fact, that we all have a different definition of a friend.

I think that the late legendary philosopher, Jim Rohn, said it best...

A friend is a person who you can call if you were locked in a third-world country - that would do everything it takes to rescue you. They would fly where they had to fly. Talk to who they had to talk to. Scheme and keep scheming. Pay what they have to pay. And stay there until they get the job done - no matter what (or how high) the cost. Now that is a friend!

A friend is NOT necessarily...
- A person in your family you sees on occasion - when it is convenient!
- One of your idiot co-workers who sucks up to you!
- Someone who calls you once or twice a year!
- Your boss or other superior who pretends to do things for you!

I like the concept of having a friend. Luckily I have two that fall into this definition - you may not be so lucky or maybe your luckier. I don't know.

I wrote this blog because I'm sick of hearing people talking about how many friends they have and fooling themselves. I'm also sick of all the naive people who are so disappointed when they're so-called friends abandon them when they really need something. Or their friends all disappear when the going gets tough.

Why does this seem to happen all the time?

Get a clue my friend - they're not likely a real friend!

Before you judge me - think real hard about what I'm saying.

Also, in closing...

If you expect someone to be a friend - you must also be one.

Until next time...
Peter

All writings here are copyrighted by Peter Wink. You may not use them without written permission but you may link to the posts or give out a link to the posts.