Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Are You a Victim of PowerPoint Hell?

How many times have you sat through some muttonhead's boring powerpoint presentation? You know the type...a supposed genious (usually just a stuffed shirt) who likes to look smart by presenting a room full of people 50+ slides in 30 minutes, never really making a point. You've been there huh?

Here's what scary...many people reading this blog fall into this category. If this sounds like you or someone you know (hint, hint), I have some constructive advice...so listen up my friend...it's time for a dose of reality!!!!!

If you have to make a presentation...
- Speak with enthusiasm. Remember, I probably could care less about what you have to say in the first place. I have bigger concerns than what you have to say...you know...the wars, gas prices, mortgage payments, what the guy next to me is doing, my hair, the kid's education, and oh did I forget...sex! Which by the way is way more interesting than you - and statistics show that 65% of your audience is doing the same at some point.
- Know your topic. Please do not read from the slides. It's obvious and you look unprepared.
- Use BIG visuals!!!! If you have to call it an eye-chart...DON'T use it!!!!! It's a waste and I'm going to be looking around the room for salvation. After all, when was the last time you had a great time reading an eyechart????
- Move around. Please don't hide behind the podium. I want to see you. Have a personality.
- Make a few points and make sure I get it. Don't pretend to be a teacher giving a textbook full of information in a few minutes. It takes time to learn. I probably do not know your subject as well as you - otherwise I would not need to hear what you have to say in the first place.
- Interact! Don't just talk at me - talk to me!!!!!!! I hate when people preach to me. Besides, I just may fool you and have a great idea Mr. Stuffed Shirt.
- Save your technical jargon and Harvard B.S. vocabulary. Talk in a way I can understand. Take a lesson from the late-night infomercial guys or the local carnival barker. You'd be surprised what they can teach you about getting the point across.
- Learn how to present. Just because you're in front of me - this does not give you qualifications as a presenter.
- Don't make excuses. If you're late starting, you're off to a bad start...period, end of story. I could careless about you're problems...I have enough of my own. Say what you have to say, so I can get back to thinking about sex.

Until next time my friends...
Peter

"Communicate With Passion"

If you like the free articles on this blog or find them helpful, let Peter know by buying him his all-time favorite gift - an Amazon gift certificate. Click Here!